1600 Grant Street
Sat 10AM–4PM, Sun 12PM–4PM
Architect: Richter and Eiler Architects, Pennsylvania
Architectural Style: Late Gothic Revival
Year Built: 1925
Designation: National Register of Historic Places, Denver Landmark
Photo Restrictions: No
The church was constructed in 1925 at a cost of $200,000, and survived Denver’s Urban Renewal in the 1960’s. Many older buildings in the downtown corridor were demolished to make way for parking lots. St. Paul’s remained an active congregation during this time, maintaining many programs for the members, both young and old.
The building’s architectural style is Late Gothic Revival as evidenced by the buttresses, pointed arches of the windows and pews, and the ribbed vaulted ceiling in the nave. The sanctuary and nave on the upper level are finished with plaster detailing, and its furnishings and paneling are constructed of white and plain oak. The original stained glass windows were designed in the Drapery Style at a cost of approximately $8,000.
The ground floor of the building was renovated in 1963 to include a chapel, as well as classrooms, which were designed by Kenneth Maetzold and Associates. Another renovation in 1982 by the onefirm of HWI Associates and designer D. Havekost, included a library, classrooms, a nursery, a choir room, and an elevator. Also during 1982, the exterior of the building was power washed, bricks were tuck-pointed, and the stained glass windows were covered with Lexan panels for protection.
Many interesting and symbolic details can be found on the exterior of the building. They are cast in concrete, even though they appear to be carved stone. They were cast by Denver Terra Cotta Company, which also worked on The Mayan Theater. There are many shields on both the exteriors and interiors of the church, and the symbolism behind the shields is attributed to St. Paul who wrote, “Above all, taking up shields of faith.” The peacocks above the lower doors represent the Resurrection because they shed their feathers, which are replaced by more brilliant ones.
The music program at St. Paul’s has maintained a high quality and reputation: the building acoustics are exceptional, as is the Moller pipe organ. Over the years, the organ has been repaired and embellished, and the current one is complete with 2,800 pipes, which is an increase from the 1966 organ, which boasted 1,431 pipes.
The building was designed by the firm of Richter and Eiler of Reading, Pennsylvania, and they specialized in the design of Lutheran Churches. Architect Frank Redding of Denver oversaw the construction with contractors Buirgy and Gilbert.
National Register of Historic Places form, March 23, 1988.