1326 Tremont Place
Sat 10AM–4PM, Sun Closed
Architect: Glenn W. Huntington
Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival
Year Built: 1909
Photo Restrictions: No
Designation: National Register of Historic Places November 14, 1979
The front façade of Fire Station #1 is symmetric around a central entrance, which is flanked by the engine access doors. The doors are not original to the building. The second level is divided into three panels with pilasters rising from a stringcourse at the base to the cornice. Each pilaster has a simple base and capital. The larger center section of the second level facade has a recessed balcony-like area, which is defined by a round arch on double pilasters with a balustrade between. Rectangular windows flank each side of the arch. The outer panels of the facade contain two large rectangular windows as well, each with stylized lintel. The cornice is decorated with brackets under the soffit, and dentils can be seen along the lower edge of the frieze.
Engine Company #1 organized in 1881, and was originally located at 1534 Lawrence Street. The second Fire Station #1 was located at 15th and Broadway, but it was torn down to make way for the Pioneer Monument, which can be seen standing there today. Denver grew quickly and needed additional stations in addition to a larger fire department. In 1909, the city purchased two lots for stations on Tremont for $10,500. The first motorized fire truck was purchased in 1909, and the station eventually had to be altered in order to accommodate larger trucks. In 1974 Engine Co. #1 moved to larger quarters on West Colfax, and soon after, in 1978, the Fire Station #1 became the Fire Department Museum.
Restoration and Reuse
Fire Department Museum is a non-profit, boasting four fulltime employees, five part time employees, and many volunteers. The museum contains 30,000 artifacts related to the history and importance of the fire department and its fire fighters. Six themes are represented in the exhibits, and they work to illustrate different components of fire fighting: communicating, personal protective tools and equipment, fire apparatus, fire suppression, life safety duties, and the history of Fire Station #1. The Fire Department Museum is open from Monday to Saturday from 10:00am to 4:00pm. Please find admission information on their website.
Glenn W. Huntington was born in Illinois in 1865. He lived and worked in Texas until he opened his architectural firm in Denver in 1897. He was a member of the Colorado AIA, and designed many single-family homes in Denver. The homes boasted a wide variety of styles including classical, colonial, Tudor, Renaissance Revival, and upscale four squares. He even designed two homes that are good examples of the Prairie Style house. His homes can be found in many Denver neighborhoods including Wyman, Boulder, Alamo Placito, Denver Country Club, Potter Highlands and Seventh Avenue. Some of his other works include Fire Station #7, as well as the Berkley School addition and the Arcanum Apartments on 1904 Logan, which are both on the National Register.
www.denverfiremuseum.org; www.historycolorado.org; National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: 11.14.79.